Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hookah

Hookah smoking at the home of our "subject" for the SOW documentary, Ishak, with two of his adorable grandchildren. Its not all about him, but of his family as a whole and how The Sehgal Foundation has changed their lives. The life of a male in Mewat is pretty sweet. From what I can see, you read the newspaper while waiting for your wife to milk the buffaloes and cows, gather wood and water, and make your breakfast. After that, you chill with your fellow male neighbor and smoke hookah all day. Awesome.


I thought this "real India hookah smoking" was pretty cool... until I realized how they light the tobacco. Now, I knew that they used cow dung to make patties for fuel. I knew this. They even use the patties to make houses, which smell very... interesting. But never did I think that they would put cow dung coals directly on top of their tobacco without any separation (I suppose I never stopped to think of the lack of foil, but maybe some type of barrier should be in place, right?).

But I guess that's India for you.

No comments: