Sunday, May 31, 2009

Biodiversity Summer Camp

Students from schools around Dehli traveled to the IRRAD building today for a Vacation Program on Bioresources, a camp for high school students run by the DNA Club, a Department of Biotechnology program. The Sehgal Foundation hosts and helps sponsor the camp.

Experts in different fields taught students about topics such as the medicinal qualities in native plants, shrinking animal habitats, and water conservation.

Students were from both private schools and Kendriya Vidyalayas, or “central schools,” which serve the children of central government employees. Anjali, a camp mentor, told our group that this diversity is not without conflict. “Our DNA club works in 20 schools – some of them are really really expensive schools and some are government schools, and I see clashes in them,” Anjali said. “[The students from rural government schools] come to me and say ‘we are not feeling good, we are not feeling in the group, we don’t understand English.’”

The results for the State Board Exam were announced during the session and this girl from a private school in Delhi made a 94 percent, making her the only girl in the group to score above a 90.

It was great to learn more about the education system in India, and I think the students were really excited to see us. I'm sure I took about a million photos with these kids. "Please miss, one more click!"

No comments: