I took a walk today to the indigenous village that is literally next door to the farm school. These people used to be hunter-gatherers, but like many indigenous people, have been restricted to a small area with poor soil and almost no wild game. I have never seen such extreme poverty.

Everyone is a little shy of outsiders. Most of these people speak three languages, Toba, Guarani, and Spanish, in that order.
This boy and his sisters had no idea who I was or what I was saying, But they seemed to want to share their meal of rice, onions, and beef with me.
In the village, there is a store where they sell crafts. This man was coming by to show us new necklaces and bows that he made.
While taking photos, I caught myself feeling uneasy about it. Am I exploiting these people? What's the right thing to do in this situation?


No comments:
Post a Comment